25 September 2012

REVIEW: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
Series: Hex Hall #1
Publisher
Publication Date
Source: Bought



Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father—an elusive European warlock—only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tag-along ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

I loved re-reading this book. I had completely forgot nearly everything that happened so I still had all the excitement that I get when I'm reading a book for the first time. I've never read a book that is set in a school for magical beings and I loved reading about them all.

The book focuses on sixteen-year-old Sophie Mercer who was sent to Hex Hall by her father because she was flaunting her abilities and was getting noticed.

Sophie was a very interesting character to read about as she was usually quite funny and I found myself laughing a lot at this book. 

Then we have Archer Cross. Oh, Archer. Why do you have to be so beautiful? I had completely forgotten the whole Archer storyline and when it got to the scene in the basement where the real Archer was revealed, I was shocked.  I really really really wanted Sophie and Archer to get together, but after that, why would she want to be with him?

Elodie, Alice and Chaston (the 3 witches) actually started to grow on me. Even though they were teasing Sophie and were being horrible to her, I actually really liked them. They were the usual kind of popular girls who think they are superior to everyone else, but there was also something about them underneath that act that I liked in them. After Sophie starts hanging out with Elodie, I really started to like their friendship. If Elodie had given Sophie a chance to start with, they would have been friend for longer and I think they would have actually been best friend. 

Hell Hall was even more amazing the second time around and now I can't wait to dive into Raising Demons!

No comments:

Post a Comment