2 September 2013

If I Die by Rachel Vincent

If I Die by Rachel Vincent
Series: Soul Screamers #5
Publisher: Mira Ink
Publication Date: February 3rd 2012
Source: Library



The entire school's talking about the gorgeous new math teacher, Mr. Beck. Everyone except Kaylee Cavanaugh. After all, Kaylee's no ordinary high-school junior. She's a banshee--she screams when someone dies. But the next scream might be for Kaylee.

Yeah--it's a shock to her, too. So to distract herself, Kaylee's going to save every girl in school. Because that hot new teacher is really an incubus who feeds on the desire of unsuspecting students. The only girls immune to his lure are Kaylee and Sabine, her boyfriend's needy ex-girlfriend. Now the unlikely allies have to get rid of Mr. Beck...before he discovers they aren't quite human, either.

But Kaylee's borrowed lifeline is nearing its end. And those who care about her will do anything to save her life.

Anything.

So it's 1am right now and I'm trying to compose my thoughts and feelings for this book which is pretty hard since my feelings are all over the place right now. This was one emotional book. I actually lost count of the amount of times I cried! I haven't cried that much at a book since the Deathly Hallows. Going by the synopsis, I knew it was inevitable I was going to cry, but I didn't expect to cry that much. What can I say? This book was just so fantastically amazing from start to finish. Definitely the best one yet.

OK, so review without spoilers. I can do this. 

Well, from the synopsis we find out that Kaylee is going to die in this one. And to be honest, I think Kaylee dealt with the knowledge of her impending death quite well. Sure, she had her freak out moments but for the most part, she was the Queen of Calm. I honestly admire Kaylee so much for that, I definitely don't think I would have been able to do that. She's such a strong character. I also love that even though Kaylee knows she's going to die, she's focused on ridding her school of yet another evil creature. She's so focused on saving everyone else and doesn't really give herself a second thought. That's why I love her so much.

Nash was a dick in this one. I honestly can't put it any other way. He was selfish, controlling and just downright nasty. I honestly couldn't believe half of the stuff he did in this book, Kaylee didn't deserve any of it. Nash was just using Kaylee as blame for him using frost again to fuel his addiction and it pissed me off. That scene with him, Sabine and Kaylee in the parking lot made me hate him. I doubt I'll ever forgive him fully for that. Sabine is welcome to him.

Sabine actually grew on me a lot in this one Maybe it was because my feelings for Nash and Kaylee as a couple disappeared. I could actually focus on starting to like Sabine rather than hating her with every bone in my body. She's actually a pretty funny character, and she's nice when she wants to be. I'm looking forward to seeing more of her and maybe her and Kaylee will actually be friends.

And lastly, we have Tod. Now, I know in my review for My Soul to Steal I said I was giving up on this series if Nash and Kaylee didn't end up together, well that was before I read If I Die and saw Nash acting like a dick. I also saw how far Tod was willing to go to protect Kaylee and, inevitably, Tod won me over. Tod is one of the sweetest characters I've ever read about. He's had feelings for Kaylee for months, but never acted on them in respect to his brother. I can't imagine how hard it must have been for him to see Kaylee and Nash together. But he waited, and I just adore Tod even more now.

So yet again, there was something going down in Arlington. There's never a peaceful moment in damn place. So other than Kaylee's impending death, they were also dealing with a not-so-human math teacher and there was also something weird going on with teenage girls in the area. After doing some digging, Kaylee realises that maybe these two things aren't coincidences, and maybe they're related. Finding out that your math teacher is an incubus who's seducing teenage girls obviously doesn't sit well with Kaylee. Especially when her best friend seems to be the next target. I have to say that the story line in this book was the best one yet. I'd only planned on reading a couple of chapters before going to sleep, but I just couldn't put this down! 

I have to say, I did cry a hell of a lot throughout this book mainly because of: Kaylee & Nash; Nash being a dick and hurting Kaylee; Kaylee & Tod and of course, the ending. My emotions were all over the place with this book. As soon as I'd finished crying because of one part, something else quickly came along and set me off again. 

Overall, If I Die has probably been my favourite of all the Soul Screamer books yet (and I've loved them all). This is such a fantastic series that just gets better and better with every book. I'm absolutely loving it and I can't wait to get stuck into Before I Wake!

4 comments:

  1. I'm gonna be avoiding your reviews for this series until I start it and am all caught up till that book, or I'll end up spoiling myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably best to avoid the reviews! But I definitely recommend starting the series soon, it's amazing!

      Delete
  2. I really need to get around to starting this series. I think I have the first one on my Kindle, so when I'm in the mood for something really fun maybe I'll start this one! Definitely don't want to accidentally spoil myself, though. ;) But I'm glad to loved this one so much. It's nice when a series gets better with each book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving the series! I've been powering through it, it's fantastic! I hope you get around to starting it soon :)

      Delete