25 November 2013

Mechanical by Pauline C. Harris

Mechanical by Pauline C. Harris
Series: Mechanical #1
Publisher: Fire and Ice Young Adult Books
Publication Date: April 28th 2013
Source: Author



Drew is an android. From the very beginning of her existence, she has been programmed by her creators to understand her superiority and overwhelming responsibilities. She was created for a mission, a mission more important than anything she could ever have imagined.

Drew is sent to a high school to observe the humans and report back to her creators. But when she begins to form friendships with these humans and starts feeling strange human emotions, she doubts the creators’ ways of dealing with her and wonders whether her mission is as wonderful as it once seemed.

As Drew falls deeper and deeper into the mystery surrounding her mission and her creation, she’s suddenly left with a choice. Does she follow through with what she’s known all her life or does she act on what she now knows is right?

Pauline contacted me and asked me if I wanted to read her book, and I jumped at the chance to read it because the synopsis sounded really intriguing. The story line was interesting and kept me reading, but the characters were what brought this book down for me. I honestly didn't care about any of them and, to be honest, they all really annoyed me - especially Drew.

Drew is an android and she was sent into a high school to observe humans and report back to her creators. Drew started off as an alright character. It was interesting seeing her interact with humans and seeing her come to terms with what she is. She had some internal battles over whether she had a soul or not and she wanted something to believe in. The main thing that annoyed me about Drew was her constant questioning of whether she had a soul or not. She kept saying she was an android and I was like 'I know you're android. You don't have to tell me every single chapter!' It did start to bug me after a while. Also, she was extremely naive. At first, even when she knows there's something else going on, she just accepts what everyone else tells her even though she doesn't believe it. 

I also didn't really care about Jessica and Michael. I couldn't believe how easily both of them accepted the fact that Drew was an android. I mean, if I found out one of my friends was an android, I wouldn't just be like 'Oh, OK.' I'd have tons of questions! They both just really annoyed me.

I did like the story line though. Like I said, it was interesting. I did enjoy finding out what Drew's creators were really doing and finding out what they were doing. I also really enjoyed finding out the secret surrounding Drew and the other androids. Although parts of this story were predictable, I did find it enjoyable.

The ending was good, but like I said, I don't really care for any of these characters so I'm not really interested in seeing what happens to them next.

Overall, this was an OK book. The story was good, but I just didn't connect with any of the characters which meant I didn't enjoy it as much as I could have. Unfortunately, it just wasn't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment