11 May 2015

Get Dirty by Gretchen McNeil

Get Dirty by Gretchen McNeil
Series: Get Mad #2
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Publication Date: June 16th 2015
Source: Publisher [Edelweiss]



The members of Don’t Get Mad aren’t just mad anymore... they’re afraid. And with Margot in a coma and Bree stuck in juvie, it’s up to Olivia and Kitty to try to catch their deadly tormentor. But just as the girls are about to go on the offensive, Ed the Head reveals a shocking secret that turns all their theories upside down. The killer could be anyone, and this time he—or she—is out for more than just revenge.

The girls desperately try to discover the killer’s identity as their personal lives are falling apart: Donté is pulling away from Kitty and seems to be hiding a secret of his own, Bree is under house arrest, and Olivia’s mother is on an emotional downward spiral. The killer is closing in, the threats are becoming more personal, and when the police refuse to listen, the girls have no choice but to confront their anonymous friend... or die trying.

Picks up basically right after Get Even. Margot is in hospital in a coma after her attack and Bree in jail after confessing to be DGM (which is what Christopher wanted) and being framed for the murders.

Olivia and Kitty are on their own with the other two members on DGM in jail and in hospital. But Ed the Head is quickly recruited after his help trying to find out who Christopher is. The girls thought that their ordeal was over since Bree had confessed to being the sole member of DGM, but apparently the killer has other motives and is determined to bring down the rest of them and hurt the people they love the most along the way.

After finishing Get Even, I was desperate to get my hands on Get Dirty. I had no clue who the killer could be and I wanted to know what had happened to Margo and what the other girls would do on their own. They're very inventive and the start to recruit new members into DGM - Ed is the first, followed by John and Logan - but the killer always seems to be one step ahead of them and attempts to kill them more than once. 

There were a lot of people I suspected in Get Dirty. Everyone was acting shifty (some more than others) and I think I suspected every character minus the original 4 members on DGM because it obviously wasn't them. McNeil set out clues to try to lead you to the killer, but she led me astray a few times. I found myself completely convinced a few people were the killer, only to find out I was completely wrong and it was the last person I ever would have suspected (mainly because we never got to know the background of any of the characters, therefore it was kind of hard to guess who it was). But I was still super shocked by the big reveal at the end. I never saw it coming.

The killer went out of their way to destroy the DGM members lives and even went as far as recruiting a new DGM group (under the guise of the old one) and set them up to take the fall for everything. It was exciting, fast paced and I couldn't put it down because I had to know how it was all going to end.

I was slightly disappointed with the way the killer completely opened up to the police about everything straight away because, you know, after everything they did to frame other people it seemed like they opened up way too easily. That's really the only thing I have to pick about it, everything else was done fantastically well and I enjoyed the way things wrapped up at the very end.

Overall, Get Dirty was a brilliant follow up to Get Even. It was a lot dirtier and more dangerous, but thrilling, exciting and kept me wanting more! McNeil is definitely a fantastic author and I can't wait to see what she comes out with next!

No comments:

Post a Comment