13 July 2015

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon
Series: No
Publisher: Corgi Childrens
Publication Date: September 3rd 2015
Source: Publisher [Netgalley]



My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.

I hadn't planned on picking up Everything, Everything for another month at least, but there's been so much buzz surrounding this book lately that I caved and read it a lot sooner than I'd planned to. Everything, Everything follows Madeline Whittier who has SCID which basically means she's allergic to a lot of things, and can't leave the house in case of a severe allergic reaction. But then a new family moves in next door, and Madeline catches Olly's eye and their relationship goes from there. They communicate through IM until Madeline finally convinces Carla to allow them to meet face to face.

Maddy is a very sheltered character. She's been stuck inside all of her life because of SCID, and the only people she has contact with are her mother and her nurse, Carla. But Maddy was a brilliant main character. She's impulsive when she wants to be, but she's also very reserved and naive at times due to her upbringing. But she's a very likeable and relatable character.

Everything, Everything revolves around Maddy and her illness. It was a major part of the book because she constantly had to be monitored and have tests done to make sure she hadn't gotten ill. Maddy hates that she can't go outside or experience things that normal teenagers do. That is, until Olly moves in next door.

Olly is a breath of fresh air in Maddy's life. After a bit of instant messaging, Maddy finally convinces Carla to allow Olly into the house. Their interactions were super adorable, and I found myself feeling so bad for Maddy because she couldn't experience a proper relationship. But Olly was adorable and funny, but he had family problems going on that he couldn't control, no matter how much he wanted to. 

The storyline of Everything, Everything takes a very dramatic turn around 50-60% of the way through and it added so much more to the story. There are a lot of tough subjects dealt with in Everything, Everything, but Nicola Yoon does a fantastic job with them. The ending was left open, but it's kind of obvious how everything is going to play out and I adored it.

Overall, Everything, Everything was a brilliant book that definitely lives up to the hype. It's an emotional and stunning read that I would recommend to everyone. 

4 comments:

  1. Ahhh, I'm so excited! This is easily one of my most anticipated books of the fall, and you've just made me even more excited to get it!
    The Paperback Princess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got this for review! It sounds so good. Really glad you enjoyed it and think it's worth the hype!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was one of the books on NG that I got approved for and than declined. :/
    Anyhow, I'm super excited for this one. It sounds adorable. I'm glad you really liked it. Can't wait till September!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently read Everything Everything and I loved it! I agree that it deserves the hype it gets

    ReplyDelete