12 August 2013

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Publisher: Pocket Books
Publication Date: February 2nd 2009

Source: Library



Charlie is a freshman. And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it. Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But he can't stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

"Dear friend"


This is definitely one of the most beautiful novels I have ever read. I was slightly apprehensive about reading it because I didn't know whether I was going to enjoy it or not, but after the first letter I knew I was going to love this book.

Charlie is definitely one of the most memorable characters ever. I'll always remember him. He's such a naive and lonely boy at the start of the novel, and I loved seeing his development throughout the book. It was Charlie telling his story, so the reader always knew how Charlie was feeling. There were times where I was so happy for Charlie, and other times I just wanted to give him a huge hug. He was a complicated character because of everything going on in his life and things he had been repressing and blaming himself for. But I gradually saw him coming out of his shell, and I felt to proud of him. He was slightly awkward and sometimes did the completely wrong thing, but I just adored Charlie so much.


“I just want you to know
that you’re very special… and the only reason I’m telling you is that I don’t
know if anyone else ever has.”


Patrick and Sam were brilliant friends for Sam. From that moment when Patrick invited Charlie to sit with them, I knew that everything was starting to look up for him.
Patrick was so funny, and always knew what to do to make Charlie feel better. He introduced Charlie to his friends, and Charlie started to feel like he belonged.
I loved Sam. She was great for Charlie. He loved her so much, and they were so close. I always enjoyed seeing their interactions and I was keeping my fingers crossed for the moment when they would finally get together.

Charlie's English teacher was a main part of his development too. It was his teacher that first told him to participate instead of standing on the sidelines which led to Charlie meeting Sam & Patrick, and becoming to man he was at the end of the novel. His teacher was always giving him extra novels and essays to write because he thought Charlie was special and had a gift. He helped Charlie a lot.

“I really think that everyone should have watercolors, magnetic poetry, and a harmonica.” 


There were some side stories inter-twined with Charlie's story, like: his sister & her boyfriend; his brother at college; Sam & Craig and Patrick & Derek. Charlie was always trying to do the right thing and even though he sometimes went about it the wrong way, he always had everyone's' best intentions at heart. 
By the end of the book, I was so proud of Charlie for everything he accomplished and managed to let go. I was so happy for him and I was positive that Charlie would enjoy the rest of his high school experience and live his life to the fullest.

Overall, this was such a brilliant coming of age story. Charlie experimented, fell in love and learned to participate. It's a story I will always hold close to my heart and one I will revisit over and over again.

" Love always,
Charlie"

6 comments:

  1. I loved this book so much. One of the best I have read in my entire life. Amazing story. And the movie was fantastic as well.
    So glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I waited so long to read it! I watched the movie right after I finished the book and I loved it too <3

      Delete
  2. So glad you enjoyed it! It's a favourite of mine so always nice to see someone else who read and loved it!

    Great review, Samantha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a sweet and lovely novel :)
      Thanks Lucy!

      Delete
  3. I fell in love with Charlie right from the start! Not in a book boy crush way but in a little brother you want to protect kind of way. I love the little quotes you included! Have you seen the movie? Such a brilliant adaptation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the exact same way about Charlie. I just wanted to protect him and be his friend. There were so many quotes to choose from, but they two were my favourites :)
      I have! I watched it right after reading the book and I loved it :)

      Delete