16 February 2013

Book & Movie REVIEW: Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

*REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*
Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies #1)
by Isaac Marion

R is a young man with an existential crisis--he is a zombie. He shuffles through an America destroyed by war, social collapse, and the mindless hunger of his undead comrades, but he craves something more than blood and brains. He can speak just a few grunted syllables, but his inner life is deep, full of wonder and longing. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse. Just dreams. 

After experiencing a teenage boy's memories while consuming his brain, R makes an unexpected choice that begins a tense, awkward, and strangely sweet relationship with the victim's human girlfriend. Julie is a burst of vibrant color in the otherwise dreary and gray landscape that R lives in. His decision to protect her will transform not only R, but his fellow Dead, and perhaps their whole lifeless world.



Book Review
I really really enjoyed this book! This was one of the very few zombie books I've read and so far, it's been the best. The whole concept of this book was amazing and something I had never thought of, so I was extremely excited to read this book. I was slightly let down by the book, but I still really enjoyed it.

R was an amazing main character. He was so torn between what he had to do to survive and what was the right thing, which is extremely odd for a zombie to be thinking since everything I've ever read about zombies says that they are dead and they don't think. So instantly I was drawn in by this massive difference. R's inner dialogue was really interesting. I enjoyed getting to know him and some of his inner dialogue was hilarious. He was an extremely intelligent person and I felt so much sympathy for R because he couldn't express himself properly. I grew attached to R very quickly and I was hoping that he would be able to overcome this disease thing and be who he really is.

“We are where we are, however we got here. What matters is where we go next.”

I really liked Julie's character as well. She was amazingly strong after everything she'd been through and I really admired that (I probably would have freaked if a zombie tried to take me away with them!). She was really tough. She was also and extremely likable character and I had a bond with her too. I like how Julie managed to ignore what R was like on the outside and see him for what he really was on the inside. I was rooting for these two the minute R set eyes on her.

M and Nora were brilliant characters as well. I love how M and R managed to have a close friendship even though they were zombies, they weren't giving up on being human. Nora was a hilarious character and I loved the parts of the book she was in.
Perry was a great character as well. Even though he was dead, I liked how we still got to hear about him and learn about his past and what kind of person he was.

The story line was great. Most of the book was fast paced and enjoyable, but there were moments where the plot line would slow down, or it wasn't moving fast enough for me. There were also some really awkward and weird scenes that I wished weren't in it (like the weird zombie sex scenes - were they really needed?)

R and Julie's relationship was one that gave me hope. If Julie can ignore the fact that R is a zombie and treat him like a normal human being, maybe all humans would learn to accept the zombies (after they had changed, of course). But, R and Julie were just so perfect for each other.

I was slightly confused by the ending, however. I wasn't too sure what actually happened to R [spoiler - did he become human or not? It wasn't explained very well]

Overall, I really enjoyed this book which is why I gave it:
I definitely recommend picking up this book. The whole concept behind the story is brilliant and I really enjoyed it.


Movie Review


OMG! Seriously, this never ever ever happens, but I thought that the movie was SO much better than the book.
I was hooked from the very first couple of lines, and I was laughing most of the way through the movie. They managed to bring the characters to life and make the story so much more interesting.

'What am I doing with my life? I'm so pale, I should get out more. I should eat better'

Nicholas Hoult was the perfect R. He was brilliant at being an awkward zombie, and he was so believable as this character. He played R brilliantly and managed to get across everything that R was and what he really wanted to be/do. Plus he was pretty hot... for a zombie.
Teresa Palmer is an amazing actress! She was brilliant at playing Julie, she was everything I imagined her to be and I can't fault her at all.
Marcus and Nora were brilliant in the film as well, I grew more of an attachment to them in the movie (especially Nora, she was badass!).
I was slightly gutted that there wasn't a lot of Perry's story, but what do you expect? Some things had to be cut out and maybe they thought that it wasn't a major part of what they wanted the movie to be. One thing I'm glad that was cut out was the weird zombie sex (totally un-needed)
There wasn't a dull moment in the movie, I was hooked from the very start and I loved every single minute of it.
The story line made so much more sense in the movie and the ending was just brilliant. I seriously wish that the book ending had been like that, it would have been so much more amazing!
There was A LOT more action in the movie and there were more appearances from the boneys, which I really enjoyed, and the humas realised that the boneys were their real enemy, not the zombie/humans. 
The massive fight scene at the end was amazing! I loved how everything came together at the end!
But that scene with Julie and R in the water, I almost died! [spoiler - I thought they had killed R!].
And then the ending with Julie and R was so sweet, and I just loved the whole film
I seriously recommend going to see this film, even if you haven't read the book because it's just so awesome that I think everyone should definitely see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment