28 January 2013

REVIEW: Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

*REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*
 Beautiful Disaster
by Jamie McGuire

INTENSE. DANGEROUS. ADDICTIVE.

Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants—and needs—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.
 



Beautiful Disaster is told from Abby's POV, and Walking Disaster (Travis' POV) will be out in April this year.
I was expecting so much more from this book. I saw how high the rating was on goodreads and I'd seen so many amazing reviews which is why I decided to pick this up. But unfortunately, I was really disappointed by this book.
The main reason I didn't really like this book was Travis.
I had a real problem with Travis. At the start of the book, I actually really liked him. But as the story went on and we got to see another side of Travis, I realised that he was a possessive, violent, jealous asshole who was extremely dependent on Abby. I honestly didn't see the appeal of Travis. Abby couldn't do anything without him interfering. He was driving me insane! I just hated that Abby couldn't have a normal life without Travis coming and messing things up!
Abby was an average character. She was strong enough to walk away from Travis, but she lacked the common sense to stay away from him when she'd broke up with him. So she never ever got the chance to get over him.
The story line was average, but there were some points that I found really enjoyable. The whole Vegas story line and finding out about Abby's past was interesting and I really enjoyed that part. 
I found the ending of the book ridiculous. Seriously. They're 19! Come on! Their relationship moved too fast for me and the fact that it was extremely dysfunctional didn't help either. 
I just found parts of this book unbelievable and I just expected a lot more from this book.
I gave this book:
I really didn't enjoy this book at all, and I definitely won't be reading Walking Disaster because it's from Travis' POV and I really hated him. There are a lot of people who enjoyed this book, but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

2 comments:

  1. Great review!! I liked the the book but it was mainly the storyline i liked Travis, not so much. I wont read walking disaster because its from Travis and its going to be full of cuss words and stuff...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really really hated Travis. He's one of my least favourite characters. His personality just isn't attractive to me.
      Thanks for checking out my review! :)

      Delete