6 January 2013

REVIEW: The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection by Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection #1
Publisher: Harper Collins
Publication Date: June 7th 2012
Source: Bought



For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

I started and finished this book on New Years Day because it was just that amazing! I didn't want to put it down until I had finished it. I loved the world that Kiera Cass created and I felt myself being sucked into the story. 

Everyone in this novel is part of a caste. The higher your number, the better your life is. The caste ranges from 1 to 8, with 8 being the poorest. America is a 5.

I loved America. She had a great spirit and was a determined character. She was such a nice, genuine person that you couldn't not love her. I was really jealous of America when I was reading this book. She got to live in a palace and spend her days wearing beautiful dresses and ball gowns and of course, she got to spend time with the beautiful Prince Maxon.

I absolutely loved Maxon. From the very first scene that we got to meet him, I instantly liked him. He wasn't anything like what he had been described as and he was such a genuine and nice person. He seemed like such a perfect guy and I really felt sorry for him. He has to pick a partner in front of millions of people and the girl he really likes wasn't interested in him that way to start with. I really hope America comes to her senses and realises she really likes Maxon. But there's someone in the way.

I'm not a big fan of America's first love interest Aspen. I didn't really bother with him at the start because I knew America would be chosen in the selection and I was glad when they broke up. I really didn't like Aspen's personality and I honestly don't think he would be the best person for America to be with. And then when he showed up at the palace I was really annoyed. America and Maxon were starting to get together and she was beginning to forget about Aspen and then he shows up as a guard! I couldn't believe it! I thought I'd seen the last of him when they broke up! But I suppose it adds a bit more drama to the book but I really hope America doesn't get back with him or she risks being thrown out of the competition and losing Maxon. 

I was so happy when America got chosen to be in the Elite! But I can't believe Maxon kept Celeste in! I hope he gets to see her true colours in the next book before she has a chance to try to get rid of America (which she totally will because she really doesn't like her!). 

There was some action in the novel with the rebels from the North and South attacking and raiding the palace. They were searching through the palace for something but none of the Royals know what they're looking for and I'm really intrigued to find out what it is that they want so badly! It has to be something really important if they're going to such lengths to try to get it. 

America is having a really good effect on Maxon and he's changing the rules and creating new rules to allow the lower castes to be able to get food to feed their families and I thought that was extremely nice of him after he listened to how much America struggled to get food and they people in castes below her were even worse off.

I also really liked how she never said she loved him or thought it at all throughout this book and that's the part of YA books that I usually don't like. But I really enjoyed their relationship because she knows that she doesn't feel that way just now but she might be able to grow to love him after she gets to know him better and forgets about Aspen!

I absolutely loved The Selection and I can tell this is going to be a series I'm going to love! I definitely recommend this book and if you haven't read it already, you definitely should! It's such an amazing book and I'm so excited for The Elite!


8 comments:

  1. This book is on my TBR list and I think your review just bumped it up a few spots. It really sounds interesting and the cover is intriguing. Good review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never expected it to be as good as it was, but it was just such a brilliant story! I absolutely love this cover!
      Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. I have The Selection on my wish list! Can't wait to read it! Thanks for the great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one too! I'm pretty sure I finished it in one sitting too because I just couldn't wait to see what would happen next. I'm so sad the second one still isn't out yet. I want to know what happens next right now! Great review :)

    -Jessica (Peace Love Books)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such an amazing book! I know! I can't believe we have to wait until April for The Elite to come out!
      Thank you :)

      Delete
  4. So glad you enjoyed it, it's been on my TBR list for a while now! :) Great review!

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing!! Hope you get to read it soon!
      Thank you :)

      Delete