27 January 2013

REVIEW: The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan

*REVIEW WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS*


The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus #3)
by Rick Riordan

Annabeth is terrified. Just when she's about to be reunited with Percy - after six months of being apart, thanks to Hera - it looks like Camp Jupiter is preparing for war. As Annabeth and her friends Jason, Piper, and Leo fly in on the Argo II, she can't blame the Roman demigods for thinking the ship is a Greek weapon. With its steaming bronze dragon figurehead, Leo's fantastical creation doesn't appear friendly. Annabeth hopes that the sight of their praetor Jason on deck will reassure the Romans that the visitors from Camp Half-Blood are coming in peace.

And that's only one of her worries. In her pocket, Annabeth carries a gift from her mother that came with an unnerving command: Follow the Mark of Athena. Avenge me. Annabeth already feels weighed down by the prophecy that will send seven demigods on a quest to find - and close - the Doors of Death. What more does Athena want from her?


Annabeth's biggest fear, though, is that Percy might have changed. What if he's now attached to Roman ways? Does he still need his old friends? As the daughter of the goddess of war and wisdom, Annabeth knows she was born to be a leader - but never again does she want to be without Seaweed Brain by her side.



This book just about killed me. THAT. ENDING. My heart is still in pieces.

So Percy and Annabeth are finally reunited after what feels like eternity. They are one of my favourite couples ever! They've changed so much from the Percy Jackson series and I think their relationship is going to be much stronger after being apart for so long.
So the whole story line of this book focused on the prophecy made about 7 heroes. The heroes are a mixture of Greek and Roman and they're on a quest to prevent Gaia from being resurrected. Annabeth is on her own quest as well. She has to follow The Mark of Athena to find the Athena Parthenos (a statue of Athena that was stolen) to bring peace between the Greeks and the Romans. 
There was so much action in this book that I just couldn't put it down! It did take me a while to get into it (but that was because I was still thinking about Oblivion by Anthony Horowitz). But when my brain started focusing on only this book, I just because so absorbed in the story that I just wanted to keep reading and not put it down until I was finished.
I was really rooting for Hazel and Leo (sorry to everyone that likes Frank), but I think that Leo and Hazel would just be perfect together (since he's the grandson of her first love!).
Gaia caused a hell of a lot of trouble in this book that almost led to the end of Jason and Percy! My heart was in pieces at this part of the book. I love both of them and just like Piper, I wouldn't be able to choose between them. Gaia also caused the attack on the Roman city leading to a massive fight between the Greeks and the Romans.
When Annabeth set out on her own quest, my stomach dropped. I just knew something bad was going to happen and I was really wishing that Percy would go after her. 

Leo is definitely one of my favourite characters in this book. When him, Hazel and Frank were trapped underground fighting the Eidolons and he was doing his amazing mechanics and making these ancient machines work was just awesome! I just really love Leo.
And then Hazels prophecy about her, Percy and Jason started to come true and I was almost in pieces because I didn't want them to die! (Thankfully they didn't, because I think I might have).
And then we come to the ending. Annabeth is having to face some spider/woman creepy monster thing to get the Athena Parthenos and she's having to use her wisdom to trick the monster. Annabeth's plan works and the monster tumbles all the way down to Tartarus.
The Argo II (Leo's ship) brings the rest of the heroes to rescue Annabeth and the statue.
This next part is a MASSIVE spoiler to highlight the text if you want to know.

And then Percy and Annabeth fall into Tartarus! NO. NO. I DO NOT ACCEPT THIS! I WAITED THREE BOOKS FOR A PERCABETH REUNION JUST TO SEE THEM GO TO TARTARUS!? RICK RIORDAN, YOU ARE TEARING MY HEART OUT.

At least the 4th book is out this year and I don't need to wait to long to find out what happens!
I gave this book:
If you haven't read this series yet, I really suggest that you pick it up. It's a mixture of Greek and Roman mythology with a lot of action and heart-breaking twists. So this is a series that I highly recommend.

2 comments:

  1. I know that ending!!! RIGHT?!?! Love these books. I can't wait for the next one... we have to wait forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least it comes out this year! So we don't have to wait too long :)

      Delete