18 August 2014

A Kiss in the Dark by Cat Clarke

A Kiss in the Dark by Cat Clarke
Series: No
Publisher: Quercus
Publication Date: March 27th 2014
Source: Netgalley [Quercus Children's]





When Alex meets Kate the attraction is instant.

Alex is funny, good-looking, and a little shy - everything that Kate wants in a boyfriend.

Alex can't help falling for Kate, who is pretty, charming and maybe just a little naive...

But one of them is hiding a secret, and as their love blossoms, it threatens to ruin not just their relationship, but their lives.


A Kiss in the Dark is the very first Cat Clarke book I’ve ever read and I’m wondering why it’s taken me so long to read one of her books. A Kiss in the Dark is definitely one of the strangest, most beautifully written and heart breaking novels I’ve ever read.

The book follows our two main characters Alex and Kate who meet for the first time and they are instantly attracted to one another. But one of them is hiding a secret that will threaten their relationship and change both of their lives forever.

I made an assumption when I started reading this book, and I’m pretty sure that most people did. Because of the way the book is written it’s a very easy assumption to make. The secret that one of the characters is hiding is revealed pretty quickly and I was extremely surprised. It’s what completely hooked me in because I was dying to know how the secret was going to affect their relationship and whether the truth would ever come out.

I loved both Alex and Kate, even if Kate did completely change during the second half.
Alex was a shy, sweet and funny character. As soon and Alex meets Kate you could tell that there was an instant attraction. Alex genuinely loved Kate and would do anything for her.
Kate was a naïve, adorable and sweet character, but my opinion of her completely changed during the second half of the book because she did something horrible.

My emotions were all over the place reading this novel because it was full of heart breaking moments and moments that left me wanting to scream. A Kiss in the Dark is a book I can’t say much about because I don’t want to spoil it for anyone because it’s a book that needs to be read.

Overall, A Kiss in the Dark was a beautifully written novel with a deep message behind it. It was such an amazing book and I’ll definitely be looking forward to reading more of Cat Clarke’s books in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like this was a very good kind of contemporary, Samantha! It's interesting that the secret was revealed quite early in the book. You've made me quite curious about that, even if I wouldn't have been too interested in the book otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard much about this one but now I really want to read it! I'm in the mood these days for books with a message and this one sounds really good. I'm intrigued by the secret too. Hmm. Thanks for the review!

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  3. I NEED TO KNOW THE SECRET! WHAT IS THE SECRET?! TELL ME BEFORE I EXPLODE!
    ;)
    I haven't read a Cat Clarke book either. Seems like I should be starting with this one since you left me hanging. Lol!

    ReplyDelete