15 May 2014

You're the One That I Want by Giovanna Fletcher

You're the One That I Want by Giovanna Fletcher
Series: No
Publisher: Penguin
Publication Date: May 22nd 2014
Source: Netgalley [Penguin]



Maddy, dressed in white, stands at the back of the church. At the end of the aisle is Rob - the man she's about to marry. Next to Rob is Ben - best man and the best friend any two people ever had.

And that's the problem.

Because if it wasn't Rob waiting for her at the altar, there's a strong chance it would be Ben. Loyal and sensitive Ben has always kept his feelings to himself, but if he turned round and told Maddy she was making a mistake, would she listen? And would he be right?

Best friends since childhood, Maddy, Ben and Rob thought their bond was unbreakable. But love changes everything. Maddy has a choice to make but will she choose wisely? Her heart, and the hearts of the two best men she knows, depend on it...

So I ended up reading You're the One That I Want a lot sooner than I had originally planned to - mainly because Jess from Jess Hearts Books mentioned in one of her posts that she absolutely loved it, and that was all the motivation I needed to drop everything else I was reading and pick it up. I can't even begin to express how much I loved this book. It was one of those books that kept me up late (even though I had work early the next morning, but I didn't really care) and had me sobbing at the end. And I mean really sobbing, like shoulder-shaking sobs. There were a few moments when I actually had to put the book down and try to stop myself crying. 

I'd expected You're the One That I Want to be emotional because it follows three childhood best friends who've grown up and done everything together, and both guys are in love with the girl. But I never expected it to be as emotional as it was. My feeling were all over the place throughout the book and I honestly didn't know who I wanted Maddy to end up with. Both guys had their flaws and their perfect moments, and they were both perfect for Maddy, so my heart was torn.

It follows our three characters (and best friends) Ben, Rob and Maddy as they grow up. Parts of Maddy and Rob's wedding day and the speeches are interspersed throughout the story which added a lot to the story for me and made it even more emotional.

Please don't read the synopsis of this book and go 'Another love triangle?' because I can promise you that you've never read a love triangle quite like this one. This love triangle packs a punch and had me in constant tears. The bond between these three best friends is so strong and so real because all three of these characters care for each other deeply.

Ben fell for Maddy the second he first set eyes on her. He's in love with her but is too scared to admit his feelings in case it changes everything. But on a school trip to Paris when Ben has finally worked up the nerve to tell Maddy about his feelings, Rob realises he likes Maddy and makes his move. Now not only does Ben have to struggle with his feelings for Maddy, he has to see the girl he loves and his best friend together. 

I honestly didn't envy Maddy for one second. She has these two amazing friends who both love her, but who both have their flaws, and she has to choose between them. And it's not even that straight forward. There's a hell of a lot that goes on in this book that Maddy has to work through to find out where her heart truly lies and not lose a best friend while she's doing it. 

Ben completely stole my heart and I was rooting for him throughout the whole book. I loved Rob too, but Ben was the one who captured me. He's such a sensitive, caring, sweet and lovable character. My heart was breaking for him throughout most of the book, but I was also really happy for Rob. It was all so confusing and emotional.

I loved seeing the journey these three friends went on. From being young kids who ran around climbing trees, to teenagers and their first loves. From independent young adults on their way to university, to adults trying to work out what they want in life. There wasn't a single part of this story that I didn't love and getting to follow Ben, Rob and Maddy on their journey was amazing.

Honestly, I think I sobbed through like the last 5 or so chapters of this book because it got way more emotional at the end. After getting to the epilogue I realise that the way everything turned out was meant to be. The epilogue was perfect and such an emotional end. But that didn't stop those 3 little squeezes at the end from ripping my heart out.

Overall, You're The One That I Want was such a beautiful story about friendship, love and all the emotional turmoil that comes with it. You're The One That I Want is one of the best books I've read in a long time and I'm sure it'll always be a favourite of mine.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an absolutely amazing book, but not the one I can read right now... I'll keep it in mind for the future!
    Thanks for a fantastic review, Samantha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to buy this book for sure, it sounds like something I would really really like!

    ReplyDelete