25 April 2014

Arclight by Josin L. McQuein

Arclight by Josin L. McQuein
Series: Arclight #1
Publisher: Electric Monkey
Publication Date: August 5th 2013
Source: Bought




The Arclight is the last refuge in a post-apocalyptic world consumed by terrifying monsters called the Fade. No one crosses the wall of light that keeps the last human survivors safe. There's nothing else left and nowhere to go. Or so they thought, until Marina, a lone teenage girl, stumbles out of the Dark.

Marina can’t remember anything about her life before that moment. Where has she come from? How has she survived? And why do the rulers of the Dark seem determined to destroy her? To find out, she will have to venture back into the Dark...

Ever since I heard about Arclight I was extremely curious about it. I saw a lot of positive reviews for it around release time and I couldn't wait to read it. I've had it sitting on my bookcase for quite a while and finally got the push I needed to read it when I got a review copy of Meridian.

Arclight takes place in a world that has been destroyed by monsters called The Fade. I adored finding out more about the world Marina lives in. The Arclight is surrounded by lights to protect the human survivors - and keep The Fade out - but they breach the building in the very first chapter (which it turns out is the first time they've breached the security). The Fade were intriguing and I was dying to find out more about them. I was pretty sure that we weren't being told the whole truth by the leaders in The Arclight, and I really loved discovering more about The Fade.

I really adored Marina's character. She's strong, feisty and doesn't give up. She knows when something isn't right and is determined to find out the truth. There was a lot of mystery surrounding Marina. She was found out in the Grey (area outside The Arclight) and brought back, but she has no memories of what happened to her before she woke up there. There was a lot to discover about her. She was a fantastic main character.

Tobin was alright. I'm actually not a major fan of Tobin, I actually think he's kind of an ass. Sure he has his nice moments, but overall, I'm just not a fan of him. He's kind of mysterious. Also, one moment he seems to hate Marina and the next he's being nice to her. He ran hot and cold and I just didn't like him.

There was a love triangle in Arclight, but it actually didn't bother me. I thought it was pretty well done and I was actually enjoying it, until Marina made her choice and then I wanted to shake her for making the wrong decision. In my opinion, she chose the wrong guy. I'm hoping she'll come to her senses in Meridian (fingers crossed!).

I really loved the plot of Arclight. It was fast-paced, there were so many secrets to uncover and I never felt bored reading it. I was completely sucked into the world of Arclight and I wanted to know more about what was going on with Marina and find out more about The Fade. I loved everything about the storyline.

The ending was fantastic and I'm dying to pick up Meridian and find out what's going to happen next. Also, I'm pretty sure were still being kept in the dark about a few things.

Overall, I really enjoyed Arclight. It was captivating, and I found myself getting lost in the Arclight world. I can't wait to pick up Meridian and continue on in this world.


3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I'm a bit torn about reading this book or not... The sound of the world building and the plot is great but the whole love triangle... really puts me off, even if you say it was very well done. What sucks is when your ship ends up being the non-canon one!
    Hope you'll enjoy Meridian, I cannot wait to read your review for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely recommend giving it a shot. The love triangle actually isn't a main focus, there's just two love interest but there's so much other stuff going on that you kind of forget about it sometimes. It totally sucked! Especially since the guy she chooses is a complete ass.
      I've just finished Meridian. It wasn't as good as Arclight, but it was still good :)

      Delete
  2. Well I'm glad you liked. I have no inkling to pick up Meridian. So I'll read your review and you can tell me what happens. Haha! Thanks! :D
    I just found it had a strong premise but the execution was just boring and blah for me. But I am kind of the black sheep there.
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete