15 April 2014

The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa

The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa
Series: Blood of Eden #3
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication Date: April 15th 2014
Source: Netgalley [Harlequin Teen]



VENGEANCE WILL BE HERS

Allison Sekemoto once struggled with the question: human or monster?

With the death of her love, Zeke, she has her answer.

MONSTER

Allie will embrace her cold vampire side to hunt down and end Sarren, the psychopathic vampire who murdered Zeke. But the trail is bloody and long, and Sarren has left many surprises for Allie and her companions—her creator, Kanin, and her blood brother, Jackal. The trail is leading straight to the one place they must protect at any cost—the last vampire-free zone on Earth, Eden. And Sarren has one final, brutal shock in store for Allie.

In a ruined world where no life is sacred and former allies can turn on you in one heartbeat, Allie will face her darkest days. And if she succeeds, triumph is short-lived in the face of surviving forever alone.

The Forever Song was one of my most anticipated releases of 2014. I'd been dying to get my hands on it ever since I finished The Eternity Cure a year ago and it left me in tears. So, obviously when I came across copy on Netgalley I had to request it (even though it was the US version) and I honestly started jumping around when I got approved for it and ended up starting it straight away. 

I flew through The Forever Song because I was just so desperate to find out what was going to happen to all of the characters that I'd grown to love. Also, I was dying to know whether I was right about something that had happened at the end of The Eternity Cure. Honestly, I couldn't put this book down. I ended up staying up late and getting half of the book done and as soon as I woke up the next morning I just read until I was finished. In my opinion, The Forever Song has been the best book in the trilogy. I adored book 1, book 2 was fantastic, but book 3 has just blown the other two out of the water because it was so damn amazing.

Ever since I started reading this series back in January last year, I've completely fallen in love with it. Julie Kagawa's writing style is the main thing I love about her books. She always manages to create amazing worlds that I'm able to picture and she completely draws me in. The Blood of Eden trilogy is definitely my favourite of her books. 

The Forever Song picks up with Allie, Jackal and Kanin hunting down Sarren and trying to stop whatever evil, mastermind plan he's trying to put in place. Allie is struggling with the death of Zeke and is embracing her vampire side - much to the delight of Jackal. Allie realises that Sarren's trail is taking them to Eden - the last vampire free zone on Earth and Allie is determined to do whatever she can to protect it. But Sarren isn't done playing games yet. He's still got one more surprise in store for Allie. 

Allie is one of my favourite female characters ever. She's such a strong character. She had a lot of inner battles about her morals and whether they were worth fighting for anymore. She's determined, badass, loyal and she's a genuinely nice person (when you don't get on her bad side). I adored Allie from the very first moment I met her and I've grown to love her even more as the trilogy went on.

Kanin is a character I've loved learning about. He's a master vampire and knows all about the disease that spread and turned humans into rabids when they were bitten. Kanin is kind of like a father figure to Allie. She's always looking to him for support and Kanin is such a compassionate vampire. He always fights the monster and does his best to restrain himself and his "children". 

Jackal is a character I've actually grown to love. Now, in the first book I hated Jackal so much. In the second book, I started to like him but I did still kind of hate him. But, in The Forever Song, Jackal really grew on me and I ended up loving him by the end. He's still his usual jackass self, but he's definitely changed a lot from the Jackal we first met.

So Allie, Kanin and Jackal are trailing Sarren and trying to stop his master plan. I can't really say too much about the story without spoiling it, but it was fantastic. Sarren's little surprise for Allie was heartbreaking and brutal (also, I was right!). Sarren is one of the most disturbing characters I've ever read about. Some of the things he did during this book made my skin crawl. He's a madman.

I honestly couldn't have asked for a more perfect ending. I'm still a little sad over how some of the events went, but overall, it was a great ending. I definitely had a few tears in my eyes when I finished The Forever Song because I just loved this trilogy so much and I'm glad it had such a great ending.

Overall, The Forever Song was a fantastic conclusion to the Blood of Eden trilogy. This is one of those series that I'm honestly going to be recommending to everyone because it's one of my favourites. I am sad that it's over, but I'm glad that the ending was amazing.

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more!! I so did a happy dance when I was approved for this one!
    What a book, what a book!
    Great review, Samantha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I was over the moon when I got accepted! It was such a fantastic end to the trilogy <3
      Thanks Pili! :D

      Delete
  2. I have the same with Allie! I adored her and I liked her struggle. It made her look so realistic and even stronger for winning over the monster inside her. I was so happy with the more Kanin scenes and Jackal, haha. His humor and sarcasm made this book a little lighter, although I was a huge fan of the bloody, scary tension and Sarren. I agree, it was a sad, but perfect ending. I'm happy to see that Kagawa is an author who knows how to write a solid ending :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did! She definitely wouldn't be the person she was at the end if she didn't go through that struggle. I loved their scenes! Jackal ended up as one of my favourite characters, and I hated him to begin with! I was happy about that as well :)

      Delete