12 July 2013

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the Universe (Across the Universe #1)
by Beth Revis

A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder. 

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.


This is a series I have seen EVERYWHERE and everyone seems to love it. I'd had this book sitting on my bookcase forever, and I have no idea why I never read it sooner.

It's about a girl called Amy who is frozen along with her parents and a lot of other people to journey 300 years to a new planet. Amy however, it unfrozen WAY before she was supposed to be and realises that someone did it on purpose. That's not all. Other's a being unfrozen and left for dead. Someone is trying to kill them. Amy has to work with Elder (future leader of Godspeed) to find out who is doing it.

So the first 1/3 of this book for me was extremely boring. I just couldn't get into it. But I persevered because I'd heard so many amazing things about it and I wanted to know what so many people loved it. And then suddenly, my interest in the book grew very quickly. I can't really remember what it was that completely drew me in, but all of a sudden I was hooked and couldn't even remember why I'd wanted to put it down.

There was a dual POV in this book.

So first of all we had Amy. Amy was a very curious character. After she was unfrozen, she was determined to find out who was doing this to the others. She was a great character and I felt bad for her because of the way she was treated on Godspeed just because she looks different.

I wasn't sure what to think of Elder to start with. I just knew I hated Eldest. Elder seemed like a nice enough character. He seemed genuine and he also seemed determined to change everything on the ship for the better. I liked seeing from his POV too because if I hadn't, I don't think I would have liked him.

There were a lot of secrets being hidden on this ship. Things I didn't expect were unraveled and they shocked me. I was so surprised that they'd managed to keep them hidden and the lengths they would go to to keep everything hidden were disgusting.
The most disturbing thing about this book was the mating. They were like animals. They had a mating season and just had sex anywhere to reproduce. It was disturbing to read about and also pretty disgusting.

After I finally got into this book, I really enjoyed it. After that ending I can't wait to get a copy of the next book and find out what's going to happen.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you liked it! The start is a bit slow but it's totally worth powering through. And book two is so much better! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy I never put it down! The first part just didn't interest me at all, but then I just got hooked! I can't wait to read the next one :D

      Delete