10 July 2013

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Unearthly (Unearthly #1)
by Cynthia Hand

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?


This was one series I'd been wanting to start forever. I kept seeing it reviews around online and everytime I saw it in the shops, I wanted to buy it so I eventually did! I'm so glad I finally got around to starting this series.

So this is basically about a girl who is part angel. She has a destiny to fulfill and she gets visions that lead her to her purpose.

Clara was a great main character. I really liked her. She's so normal (minus the angel thing) and funny. She takes everything in her stride and she eventually learns to push herself to accomplish what has to be done.

At first, I really liked Christian. I could see him and Clara ending up together. But then, Christian started acting like an ass and made me want to punch him. I also kind of figured out Christian before the end too, but it didn't ruin it for me.

Now Tucker, I really liked him. He was so genuine and friendly. He was sweet and I desperately wanted him to end up with Clara.They just seem so perfect for each other and he would bring some normality to her life. Plus, they're just so great together.

Out of the few friends that Clara had, Angela was definitely my favourite. At first, I was on edge about her because we didn't know a lot about her and I was convinced she wasn't good. But she was and she was such a great friend for Clara. Helping her with her angel side and just being there for her.

I love the storyline. Clara learned to embrace her angel side, find her purpose and fall in love. It was just brilliant. I am worried about her brother Jeffrey though, because of what was revealed at the end so I can't wait to get onto the next book and find out if my suspicions are true (I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they're not though!).

I knew exactly what Clara was going to do at the end, and I would have done the exact same thing. She followed her heart instead of her head and I loved that about her. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this book! I can't wait to get onto Hallowed and find out what's in store for Clara.

No comments:

Post a Comment