4 July 2013

Tumble & Fall by Alexandra Coutts

Tumble & Fall
by Alexandra Coutts
Release Date: September 17th 2013
[Copy received from Netgalley]

A novel about the end of days full of surprising beginnings 
 
The world is living in the shadow of oncoming disaster. An asteroid is set to strike the earth in just one week’s time; catastrophe is unavoidable. The question isn’t how to save the world—the question is, what to do with the time that's left? Against this stark backdrop, three island teens wrestle with intertwining stories of love, friendship and family—all with the ultimate stakes at hand. 








Tumble & Fall is set in the run up to an asteroid hitting the Earth. It follows three characters during the week leading up to the asteroid strike.

The story is told from the third person narrative and flicks between the 3 different characters: Sienna, Zan & Caden. At first, I found this pretty confusing. I couldn't keep up with the storyline and I kept getting confused about what was going on in each persons part. But eventually, I grasped what was going on and found my favourite storylines.

Personally, Zan's was the best storyline. I loved the discovery of Leo and her trying to figure out what he was doing on the lead up to his death. I loved her struggle with her trust and feelings. I also really enjoyed Zan & Nick's relationship. Both of them were Leo's best friends and they helped each other a lot throughout their journey. And Leo helped Zan a lot too, even though he's gone he still managed to help her.

Caden's was my second favourite storyline. The whole thing with his dad was pretty interesting and eye opening for him. He was enjoying the time he was getting to spend with him until he realised the truth about his dad. He also had a lot of stuff going on at home with his drunken mother and his sister.

Sienna's was probably my least favourite story. I found myself wanting to rush through hers to get back to Caden or Zan. I just didn't find her interesting. Her dad and his girlfriend Denny were so determined to get married before the asteroid hit and I just couldn't understand it. There was so much pressure put on the wedding & Sienna. I also wasn't a massive fan of Owen. Things kind of went far too fast for my liking. I know, I know. The world might be ending. But does that mean you need to declare your love for someone you barely know?

I think I had a massive problem with the third person narrative. I just couldn't get close to the characters. The only one I was really invested in was Zan because of her story. But the others, even though I felt bad for them/happy for them, I just couldn't fully connect with them. 

The characters stories don't intertwine until near the end of the book, and even then it's very briefly. The characters don't have a connection other than they're all in the same place waiting for the world to end.

I really loved the ending. It was so open that it left me with hope. Hope that these characters will survive. Hope that the Earth won't be destroyed and everyone will get to live their lives remembering the moment they thought the world was going to end.


Overall, I thought this was a pretty good book. I did have some problems with it, but I still enjoyed it.

2 comments:

  1. I reaaally want to read this book! I'm kinda disappointed now hearing that you couldn't connect with the characters :/ I absolutely hate that in a book! This has just fallen a couple of pegs down my wishlist ;P

    Laura @ What's Hot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really disappointed too. There was basically only one character that I really cared about. I've still read some really good reviews for this book though, but it just wasn't for me. Hopefully you'll enjoy it more than I did :)

      Delete