11 July 2013

The Summer I Became A Nerd by Leah Rae Miller

The Summer I Became A Nerd
by Leah Rae Miller

On the outside, seventeen-year-old Madelyne Summers looks like your typical blond cheerleader—perky, popular, and dating the star quarterback. But inside, Maddie spends more time agonizing over what will happen in the next issue of her favorite comic book than planning pep rallies with her squad. That she’s a nerd hiding in a popular girl’s body isn’t just unknown, it’s anti-known. And she needs to keep it that way.

Summer is the only time Maddie lets her real self out to play, but when she slips up and the adorkable guy behind the local comic shop’s counter uncovers her secret, she’s busted. Before she can shake a pom-pom, Maddie’s whisked into Logan’s world of comic conventions, live-action role-playing, and first-person-shooter video games. And she loves it. But the more she denies who she really is, the deeper her lies become…and the more she risks losing Logan forever.




I was recommend this book by Jess from JessHeartsBooks (She gives awesome recommendations) when I was looking for some new books to buy. So I decided to take her up on her recommendation and buy it. And I'm so happy I did! This was exactly what I was looking for: a light, sweet, funny contemporary. 

I loved that this was such a geeky book. It was making me want to go and buy tonnes of comics and spend hours playing video games. But I was too hooked into the story to do all of that.

So our main character Madelyne is popular. But she's a massive geek at heart. She hides all of this because she thinks her friends will outcast her for being geeky. At first, I was pretty annoyed with Madelyne for hiding this part of her and pretending to be someone else. I gradually started to understand why she did it, but I was still annoyed at her for not being true to herself. It meant she was constantly lying to her friends and watching her back so that she didn't get caught. But I actually did like her. She was such a brilliant character.

And then Logan walks into her world. Logan is everything Madelyne wishes she could be. He's a geek and he doesn't care what other people think. He's sweet, funny, charming and extremely geeky (which I loved so much!). His family owns a comic book store where he works and it's also where he and Maddie have their first encounter.

I loved Maddie and Logan together. He brought out the best in her and made her more herself. He gradually got her to come out of her shell and embrace her inner geek. I loved seeing when they were out together LARPing or hanging around at the comic book store. They were just so perfect.

So Logan's best friend (who's name has slipped my mind right now, but I'm pretty sure it begins with a D) was awesome too! He was hilarious! He had some good advice for Maddie and he helped her along the way.

This was such an adorable read. I was smiling and laughing most of the way through this book (although the laughing had to be kept to a minimum since I was up until 2am reading it). But I just couldn't get enough of this book or the characters. It was so cute!
If you're looking for a light, summer read then this is definitely a book I recommend.


4 comments:

  1. Hooray for this book and all of its nerdy awesomeness! I'm really glad you loved this too, I always get a little nervous when recommending books in case people hate it! Dan was hilarious I'd like a book with him finding love :) fab review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so awesome! I get nervous too, but I've enjoyed most of the books people have recommended me :)
      And I think we have kind of similar tastes in books anyways :)
      Dan! I knew his name began with a D. I was just too lazy to go through it and check :P
      I'd enjoy that too. With some cameos from Maddie & Logan of course!

      Delete
  2. I thought this was adorable as well! :) Loved Logan, and Dan, too! :)

    ReplyDelete