29 July 2013

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner #2)
by James Dashner

[Review contains some spoilers of The Maze Runner]

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. No more variables. And no more running. Thomas was sure that escape meant he and the Gladers would get their lives back. But no one really knew what sort of life they were going back to.

In the Maze, life was easy. They had food, and shelter, and safety . . . until Teresa triggered the end. In the world outside the Maze, however, the end was triggered long ago.

Burned by sun flares and baked by a new, brutal climate, the earth is a wasteland. Government has disintegrated—and with it, order—and now Cranks, people covered in festering wounds and driven to murderous insanity by the infectious disease known as the Flare, roam the crumbling cities hunting for their next victim . . . and meal.

The Gladers are far from finished with running. Instead of freedom, they find themselves faced with another trial. They must cross the Scorch, the most burned-out section of the world, and arrive at a safe haven in two weeks. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Thomas can only wonder—does he hold the secret of freedom somewhere in his mind? Or will he forever be at the mercy of WICKED?


OK, so after that huge unexpected cliffhanger at the end of The Maze Runner, I knew I had to get to this one ASAP to find out what WICKED had instore next.
As soon as I saw that email at the end, I knew this one was going to be even worse for the boys and that they were going to have to go through some horrible stuff - which they did.

The Scorch Trials picked up where The Maze Runner left off, with the group thinking they've been rescued and that they are safe now. But very shortly they find out that it's all a lie and the rescue was set up by WICKED to take them on to round two of the tests - The Scorch Trials.

I loved Thomas a lot more in this one. He was such a strong character and seemed like a natural leader. There was still some mystery surrounding Thomas and what he had to do with these trials, but there was so much going on in this book that this wasn't as important as it was in the first book. He was more determined than ever because he was looking for Teresa and wanted to save his friends from 'The Flare' - a disease caused by the solar flares.

Minoh became another one of my favourite characters in this one because I got to see more of him. I really like Minoh. He's suspicious, determined and still pretty sarcastic and funny even in this situation which is good. 

I was extremely cautious of Aris because he'd just appeared and I didn't know if the boys could trust him. He seemed to be a nice and friendly character, but I was still very very cautious of him.

Teresa wasn't as present in this one as much as she was in The Maze Runner because she was with the other group and WICKED had plans for them. I felt really bad for Teresa to start with because I was positive they were putting her through hell, but as the book progressed I started to dislike her more and more.

There was a lot more going on in this book and it was more brutal. This one was more about survival of the fittest because of the tests and trials they were put through that were there to eliminate the weaker contestants. These kids are put through some horrible stuff and it's shocking that these adults are basically torturing these kids to find a cure. It's disgusting. I honestly don't think anyone would go to these lengths to find a cure.

I did end up enjoying this one a lot more than The Maze Runner though. There were new characters, more brutal tasks and a lot more action because of 'The Cranks' - people affected by the flare. The gang had a lot to figure out and they also had to watch their backs for Group B. 
The ending was fantastic! There was so much action and I was on the edge of my seat reading it because I didn't want any of my favourite characters to die! I'd became so attached to them and I didn't want them getting hurt. 

The last chapter or two and the epilogue were brilliant! Dashner left it on a cliffhanger again and I was left wanting more! I was so desperate to find out how this series was going to end that I picked up The Death Cure straight after this one.

Overall, I enjoyed this one a lot more than The Maze Runner (and I loved The Maze Runner). This one had so much more action and mystery and I just absolutely loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment