6 July 2013

After Eden by Helen Douglas

After Eden (After Eden #1)
by Helen Douglas
[Copy received from Netgalley]

Eden Anfield loves puzzles, so when mysterious new boy Ryan Westland shows up at her school she's hooked. On the face of it, he's a typical American teenager. So why doesn't he recognise pizza? And how come he hasn't heard of Hitler? 
What puzzles Eden the most, however, is the interest he's taking in her. 

As Eden starts to fall in love with Ryan, she begins to unravel his secret. Her breakthrough comes one rainy afternoon when she stumbles across a book in Ryan's bedroom - a biography of her best friend - written over fifty years in the future. 

Confronting Ryan, she discovers that he is there with one unbelievably important purpose ... and she might just have destroyed his only chance of success.




So this book doesn't actually come out until November, and I hadn't planned on reading it for another couple of months but I managed to finish all of the books I planned to read for the debut-a-thon and I needed another short debut to fit in for the last day, and this just seemed perfect.

So after I'd finished reading the book, it became obviously clear to me that I would have probably know exactly what was going to happen if I'd read the synopsis. I'd had my suspicions throughout this book, but if I'd just read the synopsis I wouldn't have had any other suspicions than the right one. But I'm glad I didn't read the synopsis. It added a bit of mystery for me and I loved coming up with my theories and finally unraveling the truth. 

Eden was an alright character. Nothing special. Just your normal, average girl who's best friend has a crush on her that she doesn't reciprocate (no matter how much I wanted her to). 

Connor was my favourite character. He was so sweet and he was so in love with Eden that I felt really bad for him because she didn't feel the same way. He did kind of get over jealous and act like an ass, but that was because some other guy was getting in the road of the girl he loved.

Ryan was alright too. He was kind of weird and I knew there was something off about him straight away. Mostly because he was different. He didn't know what pizza was! I mean, that was a massive giveaway. He was nice guy.

There were a couple of times near the start that I thought I'd figured some things out and grossed myself out in the process, but I was so glad when I found out I was wrong because it would have been pretty weird. Actually, it would have been extremely weird. 

This was such a cute, quick read that I really enjoyed. I did have a few problems with it however.
The first one was the romance. I liked Eden & Ryan together, but their relationship seemed to come out of nowhere. You got all the signals from Eden, but there wasn't much response from Ryan until near the end. They just didn't seem believable as a couple.
The other thing I had a problem with was that everything seemed so predictable. I basically guessed everything that was going to happen (apart from the identity of the cleaner - but they were on my list of suspects). I could see the whole story panning out in front of me before I got to certain parts. 

The ending was pretty cheesy and predictable and it was expected after everything that had happened. I just knew everything was going to work out that way.

Overall, this was a slightly predictable read that I really enjoyed. I will definitely be reading the next book in the series though because I'm curious to see what's in store for Ryan and Eden next.

No comments:

Post a Comment