5 July 2013

Geek Girl by Holly Smale

Geek Girl
by Holly Smale
[Copy received from Netgalley]

Harriet Manners knows a lot of things. 

She knows that a cat has 32 muscles in each ear, a "jiffy" lasts 1/100th of a second, and the average person laughs 15 times per day. What she isn't quite so sure about is why nobody at school seems to like her very much. So when she's spotted by a top model agent, Harriet grabs the chance to reinvent herself. Even if it means stealing her Best Friend's dream, incurring the wrath of her arch enemy Alexa, and repeatedly humiliating herself in front of the impossibly handsome supermodel Nick. Even if it means lying to the people she loves. 

As Harriet veers from one couture disaster to the next with the help of her overly enthusiastic father and her uber-geeky stalker, Toby, she begins to realise that the world of fashion doesn't seem to like her any more than the real world did. 

And as her old life starts to fall apart, the question is: will Harriet be able to transform herself before she ruins everything?


Geek Girl is such a fun, quirky read. I was laughing from the very first page. I haven't read a lot of books about modelling, but this is by far my favourite purely because of Holly Smale's writing (and because of Harriet). Everything about this book was fantastic.

Harriet is such a funny character. She's just your normal 15 year old who is labelled as a 'Geek' because she knows a lot of stuff. I felt bad for Harriet to start with, but she's so tough and she's got an amazing best friend. She's so quirky and unique and I just connected with her immediately. She had me laughing and smiling so much throughout the book. She's just such an amazing character.

I liked Harriet's best friend Natalie (even though sometimes she could be pretty dramatic but she would do anything to stick up for Harriet) and Toby even though he was pretty weird with all the stalking and whatnot. And then there's Wilbur. Wilbur is pretty much one of the weirdest characters I have ever read about, but I loved him. He was so crazy that it was just hilarious! And then we had Nick. The super hot male model that Harriet has to work with and develops feelings for. I really loved Nick. He helped Harriet during her first modelling shoot and helped her feel comfortable. He's a sweetheart.

I loved the plot of the book. Even though it should have been cheesy what with the main character who is classed as a Geek getting a modelling job and getting everything she didn't think she wanted, it wasn't. I found myself getting sucked into Harriet's life and wanting the best for her after all the stuff she's had to endure during school. 

I just loved everything about this book and I will definitely be getting my hands on a physical copy of this book at some point because I loved it that much and I want to be able to go back and read some of my favourite parts again.

If you haven't picked up this book yet, I definitely recommend that you do. It's such a light, quirky and fun read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment